2018 was the year enterprises started seriously investing in their information governance programs. It’s not that they didn’t do governance before, but the increase in compliance and regulations, including the new privacy regulations has pushed for improvements to how enterprise think about and apply information governance processes.
It has been a key focus for us at Everteam. To end the year, we thought we’d take a look back at some of the topics we’ve covered through our podcasts, webinars, and blogs.
Information Governance Insights
There is a lot of talk about creating the right information governance strategy, and then there is the technology that goes along with that strategy. At Everteam, we believe you can slowly work towards the larger, all-encompassing Information Governance strategy by starting small and working towards it.
Our technology framework outlines how you can do that, and what tools and technology are required.
- Information Governance: A Small Ball Strategy in Action
- Planning Your Technology Strategy for Information Governance
- How to Identify Quick Win Information Governance Projects
- Podcast Summary: The Intersection of Information Security and Governance
- Machine Learning, NLP and AI: Key to Information Governance
We also believe that many parts of the organization have a role to play in information governance and we have started to offer some guidance to different roles to help them understand where they fit and what they can provide.
- The Critical Role Your Legal Team Plays in Information Governance
- Chief Data Officer’s Role in Information Governance
Discovering Your Information
If it’s true that almost 80% of the information an organization has is ROT – redundant, obsolete and trivial, then there’s a ton of work to be done to find that information, clean it out and organize what’s left. It’s not an easy thing to do and getting buy-in can be difficult because there are a few ways you can show ROI, but none are necessarily straightforward.
We spent a lot of time in 2018 on the topic of discovery. Here are a few topics we covered, but if you read our blog or run through the Resources section, you’ll find a lot more.
- Building Your Data Inventory
- 8 Best Practices to Become an Effective Data Protection Officer (DPO)
- What Can You Do When All You Have is a Hammer Called DLP?
- 4 Ways to Determine ROI around Data Cleanup
One of the biggest drivers of improved information governance is privacy regulation. It started with GDPR, but it didn’t end there. We have been digging into the privacy regulations that affect how your enterprise can comply with these new regulations.
- GDPR Compliance: How You Can Ensure Ongoing Support
- Are You Ready for the California GDPR Law (CCPA)?
- Webinar Summary: Hacking the NYDFS Data Retention Rules
Managing Your Records
While you don’t need to keep all that information you currently manage, there is a lot you do need to properly take care of. That requires records management. We tackled a new approach to doing records management and gave more than a few good reasons to stop using a spreadsheet to manage your retention and other governance policies.
The Rules for App Decommissioning
Getting organized is as much about cleaning your data, as it is about shutting down applications you do no longer need. We tacked application decommissioning from a few angles, some of which we share here:
- Are You Ready to Retire Your Legacy Applications?
- Podcast Summary: How Application Decommissioning Can Improve ROI and Security in Your Org
- Application Decommissioning: Stop Paying for What You Do Not Use
- In 2018, Commit to Modernize One Application – Here’s How
Everteam 2018 Highlights
Let’s finish off with some of the big Everteam news from 2018, including the acquisition of GlassIG software and the launch of everteam.discover.
- Everteam Announces Acquisition of GlassIG software, an Information Governance Solution for Information and GDPR
We launched the newest version of everteam.discover this past year and the challenges it helps resolve have resonated across many organizations of every size.
- An Inside Look at everteam.discover: Managing Information in New Ways
- everteam.discover Helps Organizations Maximize Information Governance through enhanced AI
And finally, a little recognition from the analysts:
- Everteam Releases new SAP Connectors, Listed in Gartner Market Guide for Structured Data Archiving and Application Retirement
We look forward to the conversations that 2019 will bring around information governance. Plus we have some product plans in the works that we know can help you take control of your information.